The Bro Project is excited to announce it has joined Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC).
SFC is a not-for-profit organization that helps promote, improve, develop, and defend Free, Libre, and Open Source Software (FLOSS) projects. You are likely familiar with many of its member projects; including Git, BusyBox, Samba, and PyPy.
We chose to join a foundation for several reasons: it builds community transparency and trust, provides legal protection for contributors, clarifies intellectual property, and signifies longevity for the project. SFC provides all of these. They leave the technical and artistic control of the project to the contributors and community.
Membership with SFC includes forming a leadership team. Members of the leadership team are:
- Seth Hall, International Computer Science Institute
- Keith Lehigh, Indiana University
- Vern Paxson, University of California at Berkeley
- Michal Purzynski, Mozilla Foundation
- Aashish Sharma, Lawrence Berkeley Lab
- Adam Slagell, National Center for Supercomputing Applications
- Robin Sommer, International Computer Science Institute
Financial contributions to the Bro Project will now be managed by SFC. We added a donate page and PayPal button to our site. The page includes instructions for alternate payment options (check or wire transfer) if you do not wish to use a credit card.
If you use Bro and would like to give back to the Project, please consider donating.
We thank SFC and the Bro community for its continued support.